Wednesday, May 15, 2024

The Ultimate Frisbee Association (UFA) vs USAU Men's Club - Introduction

I've seen a fair amount of discussion about the benefits and challenges of the semi-pro league(s) vs  USAU club. There's a lot of feels for folks surrounding both versions of the sport, which I totally understand, but I feel like it would be worth chiming in given my perspective of coaching and organizing at both the elite USAU club men's level and for an elite UFA franchise. 

My Experience and Context

UFA - I have been the co-head coach of the Colorado Summit since it's inauguration into the league in 2022 alongside my good friend Mike Lun. This role is very player-facing but it is also significantly involved with the off the field organizational pieces as well. I have a pretty good sense of the (immense) efforts and energy it takes to keep the Summit running.

The Summit is a Tier 1 UFA organization which is not specifically related to results, but rather to our fan experience, attendance numbers and things of that nature. Summit have also qualified for the playoffs for each of the past two years, reaching championship weekend in 2022. 

USAU Club - I have coached Colorado Johnny Bravo since 2020 alongside Joe Durst and (more recently) Mike Lun as well. The 2020 season was lost to covid, in 2021 we lost in quarters, in 2022 we won the club title and in 2023 we lost on universe point in the semi finals.

Bravo coaching staff works closely with the elected Bravo captains to coordinate and plan the season both on and off the field so again I have a pretty comprehensive perspective of on and off the field pieces at the elite club level. 

I have a bevy of other club and college coaching and playing experience, but the context that seems most relevant for this discussion is above. I don't share these pieces to toot my own horn just to show that where my perspective is coming from - one of the premier UFA franchises and one of the top men's club teams for the past 3-4 years. 

Personal Challenges and Shortcomings

I don't have any experience coaching in the women's division either in club or the WUL/PUL. I am an avid supporter of the Colorado Alpenglow and Molly Brown, but that is purely as a fan; I have no formal role with those teams. My thoughts below will be framed around the men's game, because that is where my first hand experience lies, not because I believe it is exclusively what the conversation should revolve around. 

Another shortcoming for this conversation is that I only have UFA experience with the Colorado Summit. Every franchise is different and I have had the absolute privilege of being a part of an organization that has an unbelievably passionate ownership group and staff that make the Summit pretty incredible. I know that is not the case across the board for UFA franchises.

Lastly, this is simply my opinion. 

What's the structure of these pieces?

I'm going to write out some of the critical criteria of how I evaluate each of the two playing structures with pros and cons of each and an overall advantage between the two structures. 

I had originally envisioned this as a single entry, but as I approached 3000 words and only had hit a few criteria, I decided it would make more sense as a series. 

Hope this is interesting for folks - it was fun to put a lot of my thoughts to paper. 

-TK 


I'll update the links as I release new entries.

Part 1 - Accessibility for Fans and Season Format

Part 2 - Strategy Differences and Offensive Tilt

Part 3 -  Referees vs Self-Officiated/Observers 

Part 4 - Accessibility for Players and Coaches

Part 5 - Grassroots vs Financially Motivated


No comments:

Post a Comment